Pages

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Hellboy II! Badger Hits Birmingham!



Yep, that's right. Badger and I will have a stall at the Birmingham International Comics Show on October 4th and 5th this year. I'm hoping I'll have finished the comic and re-done the panels that need re-doing in time to have a little book printed up by then. Looks like I've got my 16 hours a week of permitted work cut out for me for the next couple of months, eh?

The comic book creating course I'm doing at the moment is teaching me some interesting technical things. I am thinking I need to get me a light box so I can become a master of inking and I've also found out why they asked us to get blue pencils. Apparently it shows up less on photocopies so you don't have to worry about rubbing out.

Anyway, I'm sure you're all gagging to know... Hellboy II was good! Dreamy in places, very much a world belonging more to del Toro than to Mignola in how it was visualised, but with spades of the humour that makes the pages of the comic worth turning. I'll not spoiler it too much, but it's a "how it should have happened..." waiting to happen when you see what Liz does at the end. I'm kind of sad that it wasn't as much a film for the fans as I'd hoped it would be and that the moral dilemma on which the film's climax balances gets tossed away as a bit of an afterthought, but it was still a solid film.

No comments: