Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Jade Goody and Battlestar Galactica: A double-ending.


So.  Jade Goody, as predicted on many BSG sites, held on for the series finale.  I wonder if there's some way we could shoehorn her story into a parable for the Human-Cylon war?

I'm not going to talk about the BSG finale, other than to say that it left a little too much unanswered for my liking.  The image to the right gives away some of my thoughts, though, about when the right time to click your heels together might have been.

Still, I doubt parable-fatigue was what finished Jade off, but I'm quite certain it might in a few days time kill us all when everyone gets a bit too excited about the messianic qualities of The People's Piglet.  Give money to cancer charities, because it's what she would have wanted.  Dismiss any criticism of her as class-based snobbery.  Ignore the strange machine that drove her from nobody to celebrity to demon to angel and tried to sell us each incarnation along the way.

I find these sorts of public outpourings of grief really quite peculiar.

2 comments:

Frozen to the Touch said...

At least now we know: BSG was a show about some higher design toying with marionettes. A poorly thought-out ending which basically pisses on everything good that preceded it; and for my sanity I'll just pretend I didn't see the epilogue and Moore's inexcusably self-indulgent cameo.

wiffly said...

I agree with your comments about the "strange machine". When my radio alarm informed me the prime minister had made a statement about Jade saying what a brave person she was etc, I felt like I had woken up in a novel by Ben Elton.