Pages

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Repo! The Genetic Opera: Fucking Awful

Repo! The Genetic Opera looked like it was going to be perfect. A gothic punk futuristic setting with Sarah Brightman tearing out her own eyes, Paris Hilton addicted to surgery, Anthony Stuart-Head in his post-Nescafé-advert incarnation as a cult star, an emo kid who lives in a graveyard... and all this with a rock opera soundtrack.

It should have been amazing.

However, by comparison, let's think about piss-fucking.

Piss-fucking has all the elements of a perfect dirty sex scenario, but just ends up senseless and messy. The Genetic Opera is the piss-fucking of cult movies. No matter how many times people try to tell you it's a bad idea, you're going to end up with a wet patch at the bottom of the laundry basket sooner or later. I'm not going to tell you not to watch this film, but you'll hate yourself for watching it if you do. No amount of boil-washing is ever going to be able to erase this shit from my mind.

It's awful. It's awful not even in the way that Plan 9 From Outer Space was awesome and awful at once. The songs are utterly dull, the costumes are a bad pastiche of Rocky Horror, the performances both in terms of singing and in terms of acting made us wonder if the script was actually circulated, or even written before they all turned up on set, patting each other on the back for being involved in something so fucking cool as this.

It's not fucking cool, it's not so-bad-it's-good. It's dull and hackneyed and it looks, feels and sounds cheap.

You're better off with piss-fucking, even if the person you're doing it with just had a curry.

6 comments:

Griff said...

piss-fucking FTW then, right?

sadly i will still probably watch it, shame though.

MadeInScotland said...

1 i have repo the opera coming on DVD from amazon

2 sarah brightman is a talant (sci-fi spelling) with AH in his post Bffy Who mood less so. She is paid $60k for 3 words in Germany.

3 artists have a different perception from those who might become, so always qualify in terms of "how I felt..."

ahoj

Gareth said...

that so beats any critique Nicholas de Jong would write.

MadeInScotland said...

I have to say I watched it last night for the first time. As always, I wanted to sing along but found it a challenge.

Have you seen ENO's Doctor Atomic, part of their current season?

Try it and you might appreciate Repo in a different light.

Where did Atomic come from?

Sure, Repo is challenging and, at times, it superficially looks poorly realised.

Yet compare it against the opera genre (not cartoon, not 300, not the blue Manhattan man) and it compares not unfavourably.

Though the Largo sibling scene and Hilton are cringe-worthy (and perhaps the main reason u find it poorly realised?) the libretto structure is closely aligned to high opera.

All credit too for being more besson than burton, don't you think?

I dunno. But I'm watching it again.

ahoj

Anonymous said...

I own it and honestly I enjoy it. The mood is pretty unique as well as the wide array of musical styles, and The story is pretty original.

Numinous said...

I agree with the review wholeheartedly.

I had the horrible experience of being held hostage, and being forced to watch this film. My friend was my only ride back home, and kept telling me what a 'great' film this was. He said I would love it, and we could head back when we were done seeing it.

It was one of the worse films I have ever seen. I felt pity for some of the actors in that movie (were they really that desperate?)

As for Paris Hilton. I think she was too stupid to realize what a total piece of crap that completely unmusical shitfest was.

I wish I could unsee that film. Maybe I can open my skull and scrape away the necessary gray matter with a rusty knife.

I'm almost not joking.