Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Watching yourself change from the inside out.


hair, originally uploaded by zombiecoterie.

...and I don't mean this cock-awful photo of me without anything happening to stop my hair looking like a tonsure. Well, maybe I do.

Every time I've tried to grow my hair out, it hits this stage and just looks dense, shapeless and impossible to manage without a bucketload of product. It's a very long time since I managed to get past the hell of in-between hair and got to show off the rolling waves my hair wants to fall into once it gets long enough.

Yes, that is an analogy you can smell there. No anal bleaching needed to notice that.

In the last couple of weeks, I've started doing the MA, had my last physio appointment for my numb hands, started on methylphenidate for ADHD, started back at interpreting work and generally, the dim and distant nimbus of life I'd had lurking in me burst into a supernova.

Methylphenidate is having some very interesting effects on me. I'm much less distracted than normal; my focus at the gym was incredible and I've been able to knuckle down and get a few weeks ahead on drawing Badger. The things I've been dithering about doing are finally getting done - from anthology pieces to cleaning out the washing machine. I'm pretty much exactly like a 1950's housewife, necking speed to get the chores done, only I'm not feeling like I'm tweaking on it and god knows I'd know what that's like. I'm feeling quite chilled out and just quite content.

Things are good, right now - I think I've got the right products in place (the right pharmaceuticals and the right people supporting me) and I think even though it's a bit thick and lumpy at the moment, it's a good period of growth I'm hoping I won't back away from again.

1 comment:

MadeInScotland said...

MiS's Alabama roommate would say:

I think you need a relaxer. Like the coloured people use.

If it works for you, you can spray some shimmer on top of it. Then relax with a malt beer.

Jeez, why not go the whole hog and have some fried chicken too!

Just don't go out in the rain.