Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ideas in Abundance


There's a section in a short story about Sandman where a writer has held a Muse captive in his loft in order to grant him the ability to create masterful works of art. When Morpheus discovers this, he releases the Muse and as a parting punishment, he turns to the writer and curses him with an abundance of ideas that almost immediately destroy his ability to function.

I remember reading it and wondering which of the Endless I'd annoyed, because I most certainly have days like that. At the moment, I'm sort of feeling that way. On my computer, I've got about a dozen tabs open in Safari, each with some unrelated email or message or piece of research or idle browsing in it. Photoshop has four half-finished drawings from new projects I want to try to undertake and my sketchbook has a page in it where I've started to list the ideas I want to work on during the next year or so and I ran out of room when I'd hit twenty things.

More Badger, zine format versions of stories, a re-formatted version of the research I did interviewing prostitutes, either as a text-only story or as a comic, more Polaroids from Other Lives - I've got about three scripts I want to work on, collaborative projects, the pterodactyl thing, some poetry, some half-finished novels, posters, funny short comics, sad comics... and that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

It's brilliant that college is proving to be such a fertile source of inspiration and also is giving me the confidence to come up with some out-there ideas about things I can do, but I'm starting to feel dizzy from the number of about-turns I keep doing to juggle so many ideas alongside work stuff, especially now I'm doing some consultancy work with the Maritime Museum again. It's all good stuff, but I know that sooner or later I'm going to have to give up some of the things I love just so I can actually complete some of the projects I'd like to get done, and that's quite a bittersweet thing to have to do.

Not complaining, just musing. Isn't that what blogs are for?

Oh, on that front - I did the personality test for the BBC's Child of Our Times thingy and guess what? I came out the way we thought I would. Fascinated by the world, rubbish at conscientiousness (and, I'd probably argue, conscience and possible consciousness, too, most of the time), very outgoing, not terribly agreeable and moderately neurotic. God, that's all a surprise, isn't it?

I would say I've no idea why I did the test at all; I'm 33 and I know what kind of a man I am, but I know myself well enough to look at the number of tabs and half-finished messages I've got open to realise that I'm stalling because I'm not sure what to do first. The same applies for the number of hours I've clocked up on Dragon Age: Origins and on reading the True Blood novels in the last few weeks. I'm cursed with ideas in abundance so I'm hiding in other people's ideas until I can work out what I'm going to do next. It's frustrating, to say the least, and I need to apologise to a few people for being a bit short with them while I've been so buzzing with things I want to, but can't organise myself enough to do.

I also owe posts on the ICA, on Thought Bubble and on all kinds of other things, but I just don't know where to begin, so I'll just hide and make myself some supper instead.

Anyway, blog bunnies, hello.

No comments: