Pages

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Santa Run 2009

This has to be one of the sillier events on the annual running calendar. Yesterday, along with about 2,250 other silly people, I went to Battersea Park to dress up as Santa and then run around the park a couple of times. Ostensibly, it's all in the name of charity, but really it's a self-serving part of my training for the London Marathon next year.

There's something beautifully surreal about it, putting on a flimsy Santa outfit, wearing a tag on your leg that makes you feel like an escaped convict and then doing ridiculous warm-ups and then running around the park, trying not to buckle over laughing at the tiny kids dressed as reindeer or the men in skimpy dresses pretending to be Santa's sexy elf helpers. I just wish I'd thought ahead enough to arrange a bit of a gang of people to go along.

Maybe next year, we should get a mob along to go play silly buggers in the park.

I'll tell you what, though, much as I love the base layer stuff I bought recently and however sexy it looks and feels to wear skintight stuff like that, I was still incredibly glad when Ilmar said I could go over the bridge and have a shower on his houseboat. It's quite odd showering in a room with portholes looking out over the Thames and a door that has one of those big hefty wheels on it to lock it.

So yeah, my life's still surreal at times.

Anyway, couple of quick links to spam you with:

My fundraising page for the London Marathon - I'm running to raise money for THT.
Badger's Advent Calendar is happening over on my web-comic, go look and take part!

No comments: