Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Brian Bolland and Judge Death


Brian Bolland and Judge Death, originally uploaded by zombiecoterie.

This lunchtime, thanks to an awesome tip-off from a friend with their finger on the pulse, I managed to catch a wonderful talk by Brian Bolland about his career in comics. It was quite desperately endearing to hear him talk about how he'd graduated from St Martin's about thirty years ago, riding the wave of underground comics and found his way into working with Forbidden Planet as they set up, then working on 2000AD as it developed.

It was fascinating to see how his work's moved from how, as a kid he'd been picking up DC comics because he liked dinosaurs, then the underground comics he'd made at art school where he made the most of his one day a week life drawing classes (the wince of shame from everyone in the room was painful at that point) through to working on Judge Dread, then making The Killing Joke with Alan Moore and then doing all sorts of wonderful stuff like Tank Girl before picking up a stylus to make the surreal cover art for Grant Morrison's The Invisibles.

Again, it's given me a lot to think about in terms of my own practice as an artist, and not just for the hasty sketch I've put together to go with this post while it's fresh in my mind, but it sort of reflects some of the things I've been thinking about since the mid-point review and the illustration symposium about how great it's been for me to have spent so much time lately working from my sketchbook but perhaps it's time for me to move out of it and into the world of making a comic book again, using all the stuff I've been learning lately.

With luck, I should have something new ready for Autumn! Thanks for bearing with me, I hope you'll think it's worth the wait when you see it!

No comments: