Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Glastonbury 2011: fashion in illustration




So, I did warn you that I spent a lot of time sketching while I was at Glastonbury, right? Well, just like last year and at at last year's London Gay Pride, I spent a lot of time looking at what people were wearing and thinking about the different characters and different lives they all represented. I'm prepared to admit that because I was sketching people as they walked past, some of them aren't exactly accurate, more that they're what I could remember of people rather than exactly what they were wearing, so if you're, say, the woman who was wearing a hi-vis jacket with a frilly skirt and MC-Hammer pants underneath and wellies, I apologise now if I got your hat wrong or if you've wound up wearing your friend's hat. I've tried to capture people as best I could, though, before we get into a Hari-gate Spa of accusing me of going off to make these up from look-books.







There are more people I drew, of course, and hundreds of thousands of outfits I couldn't manage to draw. The man dressed as a horse who got his cock out to piss in the middle of the field at West Holts was just too grim to deserve any more attention than he was getting, for instance, but I'm sure that those of you who were there have your own stories to tell of amazing outfits I've missed.

I'm vaguely tempted to get some cards or prints or something put together of these, like a little zine of sketches of people from different events I've just sat at and been looking at people at. Really foolish idea? 

--

Don't forget: my comic, The Lengths, is out in your local comic shop now. Issue two comes out on the 6th of July. It's also available by mail order from http://www.thelengths.com - Cheers, ears.

No comments: